Suiker Unie contacted ARV Group for support in implementing a maintenance improvement program. During the assessment, the current maintenance performance was made transparent on the basis of factual input from the people directly involved.
- Three major points of improvement:
- Tailoring maintenance to production needs (RCM),
- Increasing working efficiency (by optimizing workflow and increasing employee motivation)
- Improving the purchasing of materials and services, enabling them to reduce their maintenance costs substantially while still safeguarding their production performance.
- Local management challenged to take the lead.
- Crucial: the successful involvement of and commitment from all layers of the maintenance organization.
- Major challenge: changing the focus of the maintenance organization and its people.
- Successful shift in maintenance from technical-oriented department to service provider for production,
- Circa 30% reduction in maintenance costs,
- Continuous-improvement capability embedded and safeguarded.